8.29.2006

Kari's Name Change

Who ever thought that getting married and changing one's name could create such humming worthy of a blog. I suppose the answers of wedding planning such as gift registeries, dresses, honeymoon, bridal showers, colors, flowers and of course, the open bar, have become quite boring to the questioner. The new fad (and it is a fad if it doesn't last long, right?) is the questioning of my new last name. Inspired by my colleagues at UNCC, and an IM conversation with my friend, Julie Anne, I bring you the answers you've been beggin' to know.

Say it outloud with me ... Kari Shannon Burns. It does have a nice ring to it. Good one, mom and dad. Although I have always found it fascinating to say my own name (and write it - remember writing your name in different fonts while taking notes in high school?), I was quite surprised when other people referred to me as more than just Kari. It takes longer to spit out more than two syllables, and really - who has that kind of time?

... Go through the drive through - I don't have enough time! Call you when I'm walking to class - I don't have enough time! Text "u" instead of "you" - I don't have enough time! Eat cereal for dinner - I don't have enough time!

... So it is ironic, Alanis, that my nicknames are actually longer than my name, and that people do in fact have time to say them.

1. KariBurns! (say it with passion, exclamation point!)
2. Kari S. Burns
3. K. S. Burns
4. KB

You can see where I'm in a bit of a pickle. I like my name. Clearly, others like my name. (Thank you, fans, for your loyalty all these years.) I have also worked at five Universities in the past five years, and they know my name. Did I mention that I like my name?!

What's a bride to do. I could be ultra-independent, releasing my inner feminist. Ha! Kari Shannon Burns will remain my name forever (and ever!) I could ask for a compromise from my hubby. After all, if I'm adding Anderson, he should add Burns. Erik Burns Anderson ... sounds poetic, does it not? Or I could scrap the whole idea and go with the masses, to be known as Kari S. Anderson forever (and ever!)

After not-so-much deliberation, I have decided to keep everyone happy - including Erik, by adding his name. You can start saying it with me now to get adjusted. I know it will be tough.
Kari Burns Anderson. Kari Burns Anderson. Kari Burns Anderson.
And for all you S. fans out there, not to fret. I cannot bare to lose my non-Irish heritage middle name, so it will be on all official documents.

So, all former nicknames will still be applicable, and there will now be even more combinations of letters and initials to choose from. I know you're tickled pink.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

U funny!

glad you have always liked your non-irish, fun-sounding syallably-correct name!

but i like the new one too...
K-SA (say it like p-shaw, and then it's fun too!)

gotta go, outta time....

love, momma

Anonymous said...

Kari,

Thanks for the ruminations. Congrats on your upcoming wedding! I can imagine that you'll be a beautiful bride.

Best of luck,
Libby