11.04.2008

Best Porch 2008
(based on three votes by Erik, Kari and Shaun)

Here is the creation Erik put together for Halloween. If you didn't know, Erik loves holidays and will find any excuse to get in the season. As he was decorating, he already knew what he wanted to be - a haunted fisherman! I stressed out because I was just going to dress in fall/Halloween colors. I finally decided to go in the attic and get out our costume box. I found a construction hat and quickly put together a construction worker outfit ... not a sexy construction worker; just a regular one! :)

Erik was set up for trick-or-treaters by about 6p. We sat on our porch and waited ... and ate some candy. At one point I even ran out to the front of our street to look for kids! I thought we were going to have a bust, but they started coming pretty steadily by 7:15. The little kids were really freaked out by the skeleton who gave them the candy! One little boy - couldn't have been older than 2 - came over to me for protection. I don't know why he picked me and not his mom! We closed up shop at 7:45 so we could head to Chapel Hill with Shaun to see Darcy!
Chapel Hill is home to UNC Chapel Hill - the Tarheels, the amazing basketball team, the baby blue, the school a lot of out-of-staters assume we are affiliated with! (Charlotte has UNC Charlotte, where I worked and Erik still works). They have an old college town, much like Athens, GA or Bloomington, IN. Their main street with bars, restaurants and off-campus bookstores is called Franklin Street. And on Haloween, Franklin Street is famous across the state! It's a block party of thousands of people, most dressed in amazing costumes. Being the adventurers that we are, we totally went to people watch! We saw tons of political candidates, french fries and a shake, Wizard of Oz characters, a group of girls as the Snow White dwarves singing the diamond song, and Blades of Glory ice skaters (on rollerblades!). We did not want to brave the cold, so we just went down in street clothes and hats! Well, Erik wore his full haunted fisherman costume ... even the hip boots! Shaun got the most attention as the chief!

4 comments:

Ryan Fisher said...

Erik, you guys need to come visit so I can introduce you to some actual "haunted" fishermen. They hang out down on the reservation and drink rubbing alcohol underneath the bridges.

Dana Duggins said...

I have tagged you... have fun with this. check out my blog for more info! Love Dana
www.danaduggins.blogspot.com

emily said...

yay- I've got y'all on my bloglines now!

Anonymous said...

Yay! You went to Franklin Street for Halloween! I have never actually been on Halloween but my siblings both say it's quite the site and my parents can hear the noise down there during the Final Four, just by opening their front door and their house is almost 2 miles away!