6.19.2006

Every journey has some bumps in the road. Ours came in the form of a broken tib/fib.

On May 1, I was playing in softball with several people from work. I hit a hot shot to the infield/outfield grass on the right side of the field, which was fielded by a 275-pound first baseman.

We both wanted the bag as I hustled down the line. As I crossed the bag, he came over onto my side of the bag and we collided. I was safe but I had broken my shin bones severely. I was taken away in an ambulance and had major surgery 48 hours later. I how have a 13.5 inch rod and 3 screws in my left leg. Not to worry; I will walk before Sept. 30 and plan on dancing to every song at the reception.

Below you will find several pictures of my post-op state when I was staying with Kari. It was an amazing seven days together, because for the first time in my adult life I had to rely on someone for just about everything. It brought us closer together and I pledged to Kari that I would be so much more understanding during her pregnancies about all the things that you take for granted.
However, this accident did slow me down and gave me the chance to make some calls about churches. We went to visit one afternoon and the atmosphere finally felt right.

We will marry in the parent church of The Front Porch Church (church we attend that meets in a movie theater) by our pastor. Arlington Baptist Church is a quaint, country church with a rich history. Both our parents were married in small country churches so we liked the idea of keeping this tradition.



ready for the two-hour drive to charlotte, just hours after being released from the hospital
erik's 40-pound cast from toe to mid-thigh
erik got up to do the dishes, and the blood rushed very quickly to his feet! purple toes!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a way to get some attention Erik?! :) Nothing like breaking a leg that seriously to have everyone wait on you. I know you will be excited to be fully recovered.

Good Luck.

Anonymous said...

Those purple toes look familiar. They are the same color as the day he was shooting the rapids in Potato Creek.