10.15.2005

We're Engaged! Our Story:

This story has many dips and dives that we would like to share with you. Where do we start?

On August 19, Erik boarded a plane in Greenville, SC to Indianapolis to go to "talk" with Marvin and Diane (Kari's parents). They had their suspicions about what he was coming to Indiana for, but they indulged him. Kari had no idea that any of this was happening. After four years of dating and several visits to their homes, Erik was arriving with a different purpose. After a great meal of grilled salmon and potato salad, Erik pulled up a seat and asked them for their permission for Kari's hand in marriage. They said yes (the first yes!). Erik then asked if they would come with him and help pick out the diamond.

On August 20, (four years after Erik and Kari were introduced at the Statesboro Super Wal-mart), Erik, Marvin, and Diane set out in search of the perfect diamond and setting. At the first stop, The Shane Co., they found many settings, but most importantly the .79 carats (they were both were born in 1979) that Kari now wears today. He didn't purchase the diamond that day, and boarded a plane back to Greenville. When he landed he drove up I-85 to see Kari. She still had no idea where he had been. (It was opening weekend for the residence halls. No housing professional has any idea about what's going on in the real world!)

On August 26, Erik drove to Atlanta to visit the closest Shane. Co with a misson to buy a setting and diamond. Once in Atlanta, Erik found the perfect setting and a .79 diamond. After visiting six jewelers, he was ready to make his purchase! After ordering the ring, he went back on his decision, and decided to order the original diamond from Indy. On September 3, Fed-Ex delivered Erik's future to his doorstep. It stayed in a sport jacket pocket for the next month and a half! (Such patience.)

On Saturday, October 15, Kari had an RA conference from 12-5 p.m. However, she was having so much fun with her staff at dinner and ice cream that she didn't get home until 6:30! In fact, her RAs had been joking with her about getting engaged, and how to say yes. Kari and Erik have a trip planned back to Statesboro the next weekend, so Kari was thinking the engagement might happen then. "Kari, you could be engaged in a week!" was even a comment from an RA!

Kari got back at 6:30, and Erik was chomping at the bit to go on a bike ride and a kite flight. They talked to some residents and RAs, and then headed off. "The sun sets in 17 minutes!" said Erik, as he grabbed the kite. They rode around campus and down to an open field, where Erik stopped and wanted to fly the kite. Kari commented how there was no wind, but Erik insisted. This was the kite that Erik bought for Kari for graduation, and the last time it was flown was during graduation weekend at Edisto Beach, SC, with Kari's parents.

Kari held the string, and Erik fumbled to get the string connected to the kite, about 50 feet away. Kari said "What are you doing? Do you need help?" After no answer from Erik, she started wondering if he was connecting a ring to the kite! Finally, Erik put the kite in the air, and told Kari to start running. However, she saw a ring spiraling down the string. "What is that? Are you serious?"(The details get a little fuzzy after this point!) "Kari, I can't wait any longer." He asked ... she said yes ... "Do you like the ring? There's more." Erik pulled out the real ring from his pocket ... a perfect fit! The ring that slid down the string was a $9.99 decoy from Target. Kari's first question was "What did my parents say?" Erik sat back and said, "That's another story ... "

23 comments:

Anonymous said...

well.... FINALLY!!
great news, great story! erik, you left out the part about sitting on my deck at dark, when we lit the torches and said, "ok it's tribal council. what's on your mind?" haha. oh, and how your airline went on strike the day you flew in and we thought we would have you captive for a few extra days.

it's been fun being in secret cahoots (is that spelled right?) and working out the details for the big moment.

congrats to you both, and happy wedding planning!! it's all uphill from here on out.
is it time to go dress shopping? (no, sorry, i can't whip one up, my schedule is full!)

kari, don't hurt anyone,or yourself, with that thing...

love you both,
momma

Anonymous said...

jim and i are soooo excited for you two. that's great!! you are going to LOVE being married. it is just the best thing ever! love you jim and melanie

Daniel Martin said...

That previous message would be "jim and melanie martin"...my parents. :) I'm going to get Aunt Delicious to sign your blog. :)

Erik...you got off so easy. They probably took you out for a steak dinner huh? :) hehehehe I was flogged for the both of us. ;)

Congrats! Congrats! Congrats! Now, move on out here to Dallas and we can start doin' FAMILY with everyone.......well...whatcha waitin' for???

Anonymous said...

Congratulations to both of you!!!! I am so excited for you! Finally, finally, finally!!! I remember when you first started dating... I'm glad I got to be a part of your "dating years"- RHPC stuff, Camp Eagle, making Blue Tide tattoos, fun at ACPA, FISH! Philosophy training...
Anyway, congrats you guys! I love you!!!!!

Anonymous said...

I'M SO HAPPY FOR YOU!!! Congrats and all that fun stuff!!! hopefully i will get the chance to see you crazy kids again before "the big day"

(i'll be in indiana this christmas)

Anonymous said...

Congratulations to you both!! I am super excited. If you have any questions about wedding planning, let me know!! ~amber

Anonymous said...

Rock on! Congratulations to both of you! I'm so excited for you guys. Erik, I do recommend a showing of Tombstone at the ceremony :)

Let us know if there is anything we can do for you.

Anonymous said...

Congrats to you both, I was so exited when I read that email that tears came to my eyes! May you live happily ever after!~~~Katria

Anonymous said...

Erik that is OOC!!! I cannot believe you used the kite trick- that is so awesome! I do hope that it was a Hulk Hogan kite and you made a big cheesy Incredible Hulk face at her when she said yes. Kari I hope you hugged Erik for like 20 MINUTES in the parking lot after he asked you!

KARI my love! Look at that ring- girl! Baby got back! I'm gonna have to commission Pam to paint a picture of you two out on campus with the sun setting and the Hulk Hogan kite flying with both of your backs turned...sigh...it's bringing me to tears just thinking about it!

I love you both so much it hurts,
Maty

Anonymous said...

Erik - Congrats man. Great job of continuing the tradition of the the downstairs bedroom. You make 6 Testosterone Lane proud!!!

Does this mean there is a Mrs. boro bandito now? What kind of influence will she have next season?

Anonymous said...

It is about darn TIME ERIK!!!!!!!.....Congrats!!!!.. I know Kari cried!!!...Miss yall lots..

Anonymous said...

Mahow Mahow--I don't even understand the story completely, but congratulations! What is the deal with all these hot air balloons? Much love to the bandito and his lovely bride. Asi, asi.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations from AL too! I kept asking your mom Erik if there had been any announcements yet!! I knew it was coming....congrats to both of you!
Mary E.

Anonymous said...

I'm sooo excited for you two...and I'm glad to hear it was an eventful story :) I have been bugging poor Kari about this for years now and am glad to know that the story was worth the wait. It definitely sounds like a commercial. Congratulations you two and best of luck with the planning!

Hugs from Tallahassee, Steve

Anonymous said...

Awwwwwwwwwwwwww,

This is awesome Kari!!!!!!!!!! I am so happy for you. Tell Erik that I am happy for him as well.

Your friend,

Leon

Anonymous said...

Kari and Erik!!!!

Congratulations!!!!!! I am SO happy for you guys! :) We all knew it was just a matter of time Kari! And I hope you have already contacted Ed Miller to play at the reception? Miss you guys - congrats again :)

Love, Andrea

Anonymous said...

Congrats! I am so happy for you both!!! We all expected it, but I am so glad you all are getting married - can't wait for the details. I love the website and the story too. Good job on that :)
Erik, you rock my face off and I am very impressed - you're awesome, just make sure you keep those kids away from your car!!! Kari, I can hear your bare feet on the kitchen floor... enough said :) Have an awesome day - love you both!

Anonymous said...

So Brady was the first to break the news to me. I am SO happy for you both. Funny how these little things happen...ya move to Statesboro GA to find the man of your dreams. You two are the best and deserve each other.

Erik you are so awesome! Miss you both!

Anonymous said...

Hey Kari and Erik!! I'm SO happy for you two!! What a sweet story. I wish you all the happiness in the world. I hope I get to see that rock in person soon!! Thanks for sharing this special time with me.

Altheia

Anonymous said...

HURRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAYYYY!!! Oh my goodness you guys. How exciting!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Knowing you both and reading your engagement story has been way to much fun. Many blessings to both of you guys!! Kari, your wedding binder o' fun is almost ready to be mailed. =) Happy engagement!

Anonymous said...

Remember us. We used to live across the street from you at Geist. You used to stay with us when your mom bowled. You used to follow Eldon like a shadow.As soon as he came out, there you were so cute and funny! Congrats on your engagement! Sometimes you would sneak out in the cold without a coat and in your jamies! When is the wedding? Beautiful pictures!
Eldon and Alberta Egle

Anonymous said...

congratulations to you both! have fun with the wedding planning (no, seriously, it CAN be fun!)...talk soon...

Anonymous said...

Congratulations to both of you! I knew ya'll when you were merely seed starting to sprout:) I just got engaged too. Good Luck with all of the planning..Love ya'll bunches!!!